The top five reasons for breakdown call-outs for Irish motorists in 2014 have been revealed.
While flat batteries are the main cause of vehicle breakdown call-outs during winter months, accidents and flat tyres are also major issues for motorists.
Other causes for breakdown call-outs are putting petrol in a diesel engine, clutch problems and getting locked out of the car.
According to Allianz Global Assistance, the ‘Top Five’ reasons for breakdown call-outs for Irish motorists in 2014 were:
1. Flat battery,
2. Wheel change (due to puncture),
3. Incorrect fuel being put into tank,
5. Getting locked out of car.
To help prevent more breakdowns in 2015, Allianz Global Assistance Ireland has some simple measures it recommends motorists follow:
• Ensure the anti-freeze has been checked,
• Check windscreen wipers for damage and replace if necessary,
• Ensure there is plenty of washer fluid in the windscreen washer bottle,
• Check oil level,
• Check that the tread depths on all car tyres are legal (at least 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the breadth and in a continuous band around the entire circumference of the tyre).
Also be aware that in wet weather, tyre performance drops considerably below 2mm of tread
• Check tyre pressure, over-inflated tyres are especially dangerous on icy roads,
• Regularly clean lights and mirrors,
• Ensure there is sufficient breakdown cover,
• Get the car serviced regularly.